Whether you have a green thumb or are a total novice, it’s time to start thinking about “greening” your outdoor space. Earth Day is this Sunday – What are you doing to contribute?
You may only have space for a few flower boxes on your apartment balcony or you may have acres of space to work with. In either case, it’s a snap to turn your outdoor area into a lush green space.
We put together some quick and easy tips below to get you started.
1. Learn the basics. A little research into what type of soil you have in your yard, when and for how long the sun hits your garden and what types of plants and flowers typically do well in your climate can save you in the long run. If you aren’t sure of where to start, hit up an expert at the local garden store or in the home and garden department of a big box store.
2. Grow your own vegetables. This is a no-brainer! By growing your own vegetables, you save money on groceries and also, you know exactly where your food comes from and how it was cared for when it was growing. This is also a great way to get kids involved – save time gardening by putting them to work so you can focus on other things!
3. Shop in alternative places. Think clearance bins at your local dollar store, garage sales, eBay. You could even ask your neighbors if they have any home and garden supplies they don’t use anymore. You don’t have to spend a ton of money to get started!
4. Use what you have. Don’t go out and buy a new pair of shoes to use in the garden. Use an old pair of sneakers, a torn or paint-spattered pair of jeans and an old t-shirt. Wear it every time you garden so you don’t mess up more than one outfit.
Still looking for more tips? We love these tips from the experts at HGTV. As always, see below for some great coupons and deals to save on all your green endeavors!
- $10 off orders of $60 or more at Kmart
- Code: APR3SAVINGS
- Expires 4/21/12
- 21% off orders of $50 or more at Collections Etc
- Code: 3M4FC1C
- No expiration date
- 10% off orders of $99 or more at Garden.com
- Code: CJGGREEN
- Expires 4/30/12
- Free Shipping on most orders of $45 or more at Home Depot
- No code required
- Expires 12/31/15
- 20% off orders of $75 or more at Burpee
- Code: CABIN2075
- Expires 4/30/12