Halloween is just two weeks from today – have you bought your children’s costumes yet? You still have plenty of time to order online (and here’s some Halloween costumes coupons and deals if you need them), but if you’re feeling crafty this year, you can save a lot of money by making your own costumes. Check out our tips on how to put together a great costume from what you already have or by buying just a few small things. You don’t have to be Martha Stewart to create an inexpensive and cute costume!
- Take a large cardboard box, cut holes for your child’s arms and head, cover it with a tablecloth and attach place settings. Voila, instant dining room table!
- Think outside the box and come up with a clever costume that no other kid will have. We love this Road Trip idea from our friends at Disney. All you need is a plain sweat suit and a bit of creativity to make this work.
- Got an extra white bed sheet? Cut eye and mouth holes and you’ve got yourself a little ghost! It’s so simple but your child will love “scaring” everyone on the block.
- Your daughter probably has at least one fancy dress that only gets worn on holidays. Let her wear it and be a princess for the day. Add a little bit of makeup, a construction paper crown and a wand made from pipe cleaners to complete her look.
- Dress your son in one of your husband’s old work shirts. Add a tie, a briefcase and a pair of slacks and your son can be the spitting image of his dad. There’s nothing cuter than a kid playing dress-up!
Still need inspiration? We love this article from Parenting magazine with a ton of great ideas. Check back here often for more Halloween savings tips and ideas.