Poor Hygiene Named the Top Deal Breaker on a Date, Finds CouponCabin.com Valentine’s Day Survey
–From a Laundry Basket to Lottery Tickets, U.S. Adults Share Worst Valentine’s Day Gifts They’ve Received–
WHITING, Ind., February 8, 2012 – Cupid’s arrows are ready to fly this Valentine’s Day, but a new survey reveals that some daters would benefit from dating etiquette classes. The survey, conducted by coupon site CouponCabin.com, reveals the biggest dating deal breakers, with poor hygiene, (e.g. body odor, bad teeth, and dirty hair) topping the list. This survey was conducted online within the United States by Harris Interactive on behalf of CouponCabin from January 17th -19th, 2012 among 2,415 U.S. adults ages 18 and older.
While poor hygiene is the biggest dating deal breaker with 84 percent of U.S. adults, a variety of other dating missteps made the list:
- Using their mobile phone too much; constantly texting, checking email – 75 percent
- Being rude to a server or host/hostess – 73 percent
- Talking too much about an ex – 70 percent
- Flirting with the server or host/hostess – 61 percent
- Date drinking too much alcohol – 60 percent
- Aggressive driving – 49 percent
- Not offering to pay for the whole date, or at least to pay for their share – 33 percent
- Being too expensive of a date (e.g. ordering the most costly food and drink) – 31 percent
- Talking about your potential long-term future together – 30 percent
- Using websites or social media (e.g. Facebook) to find out information before the date – 26 percent
Women were significantly more likely than men to consider dating offenses deal breakers, in every case aside from being too expensive of a date, wherein men (34 percent) were significantly more likely (34 percent) to say that it was a deal breaker than women (28 percent). The biggest discrepancies in opinion between women and men were for using a mobile phone too much during a date, at 82 percent and 68 percent, respectively, and being rude to a server or host/hostess, at 80 percent and 65 percent, respectively.
“Dating can have many hurdles, but don’t let the money issues get in the way of a potential love connection,” said Jackie Warrick, President and Chief Savings Officer at CouponCabin.com. “Many modern daters often offer to at least pay part of their share, and if not, are cognizant and order moderately priced items. No matter what the situation, though, daters should strive for politeness and tact, especially when making that critical first impression.”
First impressions aren’t the only difficult part of dating. Selecting the right Valentine’s Day gift can also be challenging ground in the land of courtship. When asked what was the worst Valentine’s Day gifts they’ve ever received, U.S. adults said the following:
- Bathroom scale
- Birthday card. Valentine’s Day is not my birthday.
- Dead butterfly mounted in a plastic case. It was our second date.
- Break-up text
- Card stating a donation was made in my name for a charity I don’t support.
- Laundry basket
- Pair of silk boxers that had someone else’s name on the gift tag.
- Stuffed animal that looked like it was won out of one of those claw games.
- Electric can opener
- Lottery tickets
This survey was conducted online within the United States by Harris Interactive on behalf of CouponCabin from January 17th -19th, 2012 among 2,415 U.S. adults aged 18 and older. This online survey is not based on a probability sample and therefore, no estimate of theoretical sampling error can be calculated. For complete survey methodology, including weighting variables, please contact: Allison Nawoj, firstname.lastname@example.org.
CouponCabin.com is a leading online destination for coupons including online coupon codes, printables, grocery coupons and more. Shoppers have saved nearly $250 million since 2003 and with the largest selection of coupons guaranteed to work, CouponCabin is the best place to start searching for savings. The average user saves $19 in just 80 seconds on the site. With customized email newsletters, browser savings alerts, new coupon alerts and more, shoppers will never miss out on a great deal with CouponCabin. For more information, please visit http://www.CouponCabin.com.