You already know that you can save a good chunk of change just by shopping at Walmart. But you can save even more when you add coupons to Walmart’s already low prices. The first thing you’ll need to be familiar with is the Walmart corporate coupon policy. Check out some other ways to save when you shop at Walmart.
You really should look at the incredible clearance deals available online and at your local Walmart. You can sort the clearance products by price range, color, shipping offers and more.
Walmart does not have a specific coupon policy but complies with limits that the manufacturer sets. When you use $50.00 worth of coupons or a total of 40 coupons or more (like I hope you do!), the register will prompt the cashier to get a manager’s approval.
If you want to purchase an item that is on sale and out of stock, ask the manager if you can buy the display model. When you buy a display model, you typically don’t get the box it was shipped in or any of the paperwork, but you will get an incredible discount!
Free Samples and Coupons
When Walmart offers samples or coupons, you can find them Walmart.com here. Also, CouponCabin groups the different Walmart Coupons making it easier to find coupons that match your needs.
Home Free Program
When you shop online, you’ll see that some items are marked as “Home Free.” If you purchase a minimum of $45.00 worth of these items, your shipping will be free.
Layaway is typically offered at Walmart stores during the Christmas shopping season only. This is helpful to anyone on a budget – layaway gives you the ability to make payments in increments for a set amount of time. Layaway programs usually run from the middle of September until the middle of December. The down payment is typically 10% or $10.00, whichever is greater.
The Walmart mobile app enables you to view the Value of the Day, all current Rollback deals, discounted prescriptions, etc.
Walmart is one of the great places that will give you overage when the value of the coupon exceeds the cost of the product. Walmart’s policy states, “If coupon value exceeds the price of the item, the excess may be given to the customer as cash or applied toward the basket purchase.” For example, if you’re buying a three-pack of bar soap on clearance for $0.98 and you have a $1.00 manufacturer coupon, you would receive $0.02 in overage.
If you purchase something on Walmart.com and that price changes within seven days of your purchase, Walmart will give you a price adjustment. Price adjustments won’t be given on clearance, Value of the Day, special buy products or items purchased with an associate’s card. Note: Pricing adjustments are only available for products purchased on Walmart.com, not in-store.
Walmart will match competitor’s prices – here are a few important details to know before trying to price match.
- Buy one item and get a second item free as long as the ad states a specific price. For example, buy one 2-liter bottle of soda for $0.99 and get a second bottle free.
- A competitor’s ad that shows a specific item for a specific price. For example, an 8oz cup of Whips Yoplait Yogurt for $0.88.
- Walmart will even match prices on fresh fruits, vegetables and meat, as long as the price is noted in the same units used by Walmart. For example, 2 pounds of 80% lean ground beef for $4.00.
- You do not need to have the actual ad with you get the competitor’s ad pricing; Walmart has copies of all the ads. However, to play it safe, I suggest bringing in the full ad to avoid potential issues.
- The items you are price matching must be the exact same item that is listed in the advertisement (size, quantity, brand, flavor, color, etc.)
- When you get to the register, I recommend keeping the products you are price-matching separate from the rest.
- Walmart will not match any ads that require you to purchase one item in order to get a second item for a specific price. For example, buy a 3-pound bag of dog food and get 5 cans of dog food for $2.00.
- Walmart will not match any ad that requires you to purchase a specific item to get a gift card. For example, when you purchase two new tires you can get a $50.00 gift card.
- Walmart will never match prices with a store that is going out of business and offering closeout pricing.
Walmart sometimes marks products as a “Rollback,” meaning it is discounted. However, the price can go back to regular price at any time, so make sure to snap up the discounts when you see them. Note: Sometimes the Rollback price is higher than the regular price, pay close attention to the actual price, not the fact that it’s marked “Rollback.”
I love to shop online but I hate paying for shipping! When you make a purchase at Walmart.com, you can select “site to store” shipping and your order will be sent to the store of your choice. When the order is ready, you’ll receive an email notification to pick it up within 14 days. This is a great way to get sales that are only available online without paying for shipping. Note: This program is not available in Alaska or Hawaii; products over 350 pounds are not included in this program.
Value of the Day
Every day Walmart highlights a Value of the Day item. You will not believe the amazing discounts on these items.
Now that you know all there is to know about saving money at Walmart, head to your local store or get online and start saving!